"They're changing fantasy
into the real world
with justice and heroism"
THE HEROIC JOURNEY CURRICULUM
A Social Emotional Learning and Bullying Prevention Program
Which Draws from Evidence-Based Modalities
32 Lesson Plans • Approximately 25 - 45 Minutes Each • Use Individually or Contiguously
Aligned to the Common Core State Standards and CASEL Frameworks
Health & Wellness Class • Advisory Block • Zero Period • After School
Small School-based Counseling/Support Groups
Using examples critically acclaimed television, comics and film, which children and teens find relatable and accessible, the Coalition’s pop-culture-savvy clinical psychologists and experts have developed a comprehensive, thirty-two lesson plan Curriculum.
It is rooted in best practices around bullying and violence prevention; we integrate key research findings from the field into our learning objectives and lessons, while also speaking a language that children and teens love. Topics include:
• Violence prevention
• Responding to bullying, racism, misogyny, LGBTQI+bullying
• Teaching empathy
• How to seek help
• Handling anger, depression, anxiety
• Checking implicit bias
• Becoming allies for targets
• Conflict resolution
• Restorative practices
• Healthy personal identity (crucial for ending fear and bias)
• Addressing emotional pain that leads to behaviors such as self-harm, addiction, and risk behaviors
The Curriculum works to develop students’ social and emotional skills, using techniques based on evidence-based therapeutic modalities, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT).
Representation matters, and the Heroic Journey Curriculum is available with pop culture references that will resonate specifically with children of color.
Since 2013, our team has presented forms of our work at countless conferences, including at:
• The Inaugural Educational Leadership Series: School Climate and Public Policy Forum, in Partnership with Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence and RULER
• The United Nations Headquarters • NY, NY
• UNESCO Headquarters • Paris, France
• The Anti-Defamation League Cyberbullying Conference • San Diego, CA
• The International Bullying Prevention Association Conference • San Diego, CA
• The World Anti-Bullying Forum • Dublin, Ireland
Please see our psychologists’ and educators’ video here.