In Partnership with
A Social Emotional Learning and Bullying Prevention Program
Which Draws from Evidence-Based Modalities
• Approximately 25 - 45 Minutes Each
• Use Individually or Contiguously
• Aligned to the Common Core State Standards and
• Health & Wellness Class
• Advisory Block
• Zero Period
• After School
• Small School-based Counselling & Support Groups
Using examples critically acclaimed television, comics and film, which children and teens find relatable and accessible, the Coalition’s pop-culture-savvy clinical psychologists and experts have developed a comprehensive, thirty-two lesson plan Curriculum.
It is rooted in best practices around bullying and violence prevention; we integrate key research findings from the field into our learning objectives and lessons, while also speaking a language that children and teens love.
• Violence prevention
• Responding to bullying, racism, misogyny, LGBTQI+bullying
• Teaching empathy
• How to seek help
• Handling anger, depression, anxiety
• Checking implicit bias
• Becoming allies for targets
• Conflict resolution
• Restorative practices
• Healthy personal identity (crucial for ending fear and bias)
• Addressing emotional pain that leads to behaviors such as self-harm, addiction, and risk behaviors
The Curriculum works to develop students’ social and emotional skills, using techniques based on evidence-based therapeutic modalities, such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT).
Representation matters, and the Heroic Journey Curriculum is available with pop culture references that will resonate specifically with children of color.
Since 2013, our team has presented forms of our work at countless conferences, including at:
• The Inaugural Educational Leadership Series: School Climate and Public Policy Forum, in Partnership with Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence and RULER
• The United Nations Headquarters • NY, NY
• UNESCO Headquarters • Paris, France
• The Anti-Defamation League Cyberbullying Conference • San Diego, CA
• The International Bullying Prevention Association Conference • San Diego, CA
• The World Anti-Bullying Forum • Dublin, Ireland
© 2020. CASEL.
Our Curriculum is created by a team of three clinical psychologists, internationally renowned bullying prevention experts, and educators. It is under the direction of Carrie Goldman, author of Harper Collins’ award-winning Bullied: What Every Parent, Teacher and Kid Needs to Know About Ending the Cycle of Fear.
For questions, pricing, and to get this groundbreaking, powerful program into your school,
please contact Chase Masterson: Chase@PopCultureHero.org
The Curriculum is created by:
• Carrie Goldman
• Dr. Andrea Letamendi
• Dr. Janina Scarlet
• Dr. Ali Mattu
• Leslie Meiselman, M.Ed., also serving as Curriculum Editor & Coordinator
• Hero Construction Company Founder Matt Langdon
• Curriculum Creators/Teachers Vanèe Matsalia & Brandon Matsalia
• Disabilities Curriculum Coordinator Scott Palm